The 2011 MS. PREAKNESS PINK WARRIOR CONTEST
Pimlico Race Course and Susan G. Komen for the Cure® are pleased to present a special opportunity for an individual to serve as MS.PREAKNESS PINK WARRIOR, an official ambassador of the Preakness, who will represent the Maryland Jockey Club (parent company of Pimlico) at official Preakness events leading up to and at the 136th Running of the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico on Saturday, May 21th, 2011.
The winner will be crowned “Ms. Preakness Pink Warrior” in recognition of the popular anthem, “Pink Warrior”, celebrating the war against breast cancer, which was written and is performed by Candy Coburn. Ms. Preakness Pink Warrior will be expected to participate in various public relations and publicity initiatives honoring the Preakness Stakes, as directed by Pimlico officials, including:
- Preakness Post Position Draw – Wednesday, May 18th at 4:00 p.m.;
- Alibi-Media & Awards Breakfast – Thursday, May 19th at 8:00 a.m.;
- Black-Eyed Susan Day, “The People’s Pink Party” and Trophy Presentation of the Ms. “Pink Warrior Preakness” Stakes – Friday, May 20th;
- Preakness Day, including the Presentation of the historic Woodlawn Vase on Pimlico’s storied cupola – Saturday, May 21st.
The contest honors those whose lives have been impacted by breast cancer, and is open to breast cancer survivors and individuals who have made a difference in the lives of those people fighting breast cancer. The winner will be chosen, in-part, through an on-line, interactive process featuring the contestants’ own stories.
The winner will receive (4) four Turfside Terrace Tickets for Black-Eyed Susan Day ($400.00 value) and (4) four Turfside Terrace Tickets for Preakness Day ($1,100.00). In addition, a donation of $1,500.00 will be made by Pimlico in the winner’s name to Komen Maryland.
MS. PREAKNESS PINK WARRIOR will be selected according to the following rules:
- The contest is open to breast cancer survivors and individuals who have made a difference in the life of those people fighting breast cancer.
- Each entrant must submit, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, an original essay limited to a maximum of 1,000 words on how breast cancer has impacted their life, or how their life has been changed by their experience with breast cancer. The essay should explore how the writer chose to handle their situation and how they feel their story can be an inspiration to others who may face the challenges of breast cancer.
- Essays will be posted as they are received.
- Edits will not be allowed once essays have been submitted.
- Entries will be judged based on relevance, originality, authenticity, merit and thoughtfulness.
- Employees of the Maryland Jockey Club, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, their concessionaires and family members are ineligible.
- Previous winners are ineligible to participate, though previous finalists are welcome to participate.
- Contestants must be a resident of the State of Maryland.
- Anyone who visits the official Preakness website, www.preakness.com will have the opportunity to vote on-line for their favorite essay, from April 30th thru May 4th. When all of the votes have been officially documented by Pimlico, the top (10) ten with the most on-line votes will become semi-finalists. Click here to view the essays.
- Of these (10) ten essays, a committee of Pimlico and Susan G. Komen for the Cure® representatives will select the top (5) five finalists on May 5th.
- Ms. Preakness Pink Warrior will be selected from among the (5) five finalists by a panel of judges, invited by Pimlico, who will interview each of the (5) five finalists prior to crowning “Ms. Preakness Pink Warrior” in early May. Your essay must be received no later than Friday, April 29, 2011. Please include your first name, last name, phone number and age in your email when submitting your essay. Only your first name will be published with your essay. Please contact Grace Heim at (410) 542-9400, ext. 4333 or email@example.com with any questions.